This article describes how users can navigate a Book visually, using the Table of Contents or using the page forward and page back buttons, as well as how to perform a search within a Book.
- How to Navigate a Book
- How to Browse a Book's Table of Contents
- How to Search Within a Book's Table of Contents
- How to Use the Page Forward & Page Backwards Buttons to Navigate a Book
How to Navigate a Book
Within the Documoto Library, users have three (3) options to navigate a Book:
- Within the Book viewer, browse the Table of Contents ("TOC") tiles visually by clicking on relevant Chapters and/or Pages
- Within the Book viewer, click the Table of Contents button to launch the TOC and browse
- Within the Book viewer, use the page forward and page backward buttons to navigate to the next or previous Chapter and/or Page, respectively.
Note: in order for the page forward and page backward buttons
to appear, a Chapter or Page must be selected
How to Browse a Book's Table of Contents
When a user opens a Book, the Table of Contents may be opened or collapsed to honor the user's Preferences (Account > Settings > Preferences).
Note: the only exception to this preference is when a book is
opened when a search results is found in its pages. In this
case, the TOC will automatically open to show the user which
pages were returned as search results.
In the Documoto Library, a Book's Table of Contents is dynamic. This means the TOC follows the user's action within the book. For example, if a user browses a Book's Table of Contents tiles visually and selects the 'Engine & Fuel Tank Section' Chapter and then clicks the TOC button, the 'Engine & Fuel Tank Section' Chapter will be highlighted - to reflect the user's actions.
Initially, when a Book's Table of Contents is opened, it will be fully expanded and all chapters, sub-chapters, and/or pages will be open and viewable. Chapters are indicated by carrots, or arrows, pointing down. Pages are listed beneath their respective Chapter and indented on the left.
Users can select the the Expand All or Collapse All buttons to expand or collapse all chapters, respectively.
An individual Chapter can be collapsed by clicking on the carrot to the left of the chapter name. Once collapsed, the chapter will remain collapsed, as long as the user remains within that book.
How to Search Within a Book's Table of Contents
Users can perform a search within a Book using the search bar within the Table of Contents.
- Within the Book viewer, click the Table of Contents icon
- In the TOC search bar, enter a keyword, part number, etc. and click the magnifying glass icon or press enter on your keyboard to execute the search
- The count to the left of the TOC button will indicate the number of results matching the keyword.
- The count to the right of the search bar will also indicate the number of results matching the keyword.
- If the search term is found, Documoto will automatically open to the first instance (Chapter or Page) that the search term appears in book. The page within the TOC will be selected and highlighted in the bill of materials row.
- Users can view additional results by clicking on the forward or backward arrows to the left of the TOC magnifying glass icon.
Alternatively, users can visually browse the Table of Contents to view matching results. Any Chapter(s) that match the search term, or contains Page(s) that match the search term, will be indicated with a colored arrow to the left of the chapter name and any page(s) that match the search term will have an indicator on the left of the page name.
Note: the search results will remain indicated, until the user
performs a new search within the book or leaves the book.
How to Use the Page Forward & Page Backwards Buttons to Navigate a Book
Within a Book once a Chapter or Page has been selected, users can utilize the page forward or backwards buttons to navigate the Table of Contents.
In general, the page forward button will take the user to the next available Chapter or Page and the page backward button should take the user to the previous Chapter or Page.
Note: if the user is viewing a Book and has NOT selected a
Chapter or Page, the forward and backwards buttons will not be
displayed at the upper right.
If a user is viewing the first Chapter or Page of a book, the page backward button will be unavailable/grayed out. Conversely, if a user is viewing the last Page of a book, the page forward button will be unavailable/grayed out.