This article describes how to relate either of the following to parts, pages, chapters or Documoto media:
- External Attachments
- Existing Documoto Media
- Access Controls Considerations for Related and Attachments
- How to Add External Attachments
- How to Edit Related Attachment Properties
- How to Relate Existing Documoto Media
- How to Remove Related Entities
Access Controls Considerations for Related and Attachments
Access is determined for the attachments or Documoto media that you ‘Relate’ to a part, page, chapter or media based on the logic below:
- Related Content: Already exists in the library as a distinct media and can be searched and found in the library without navigating to a part, page, chapter or media first.
- Users can only see this type of related item on a part, page, chapter or media if they have access to the media item in the library.
How to Add External Attachments
- Within Documoto Admin go to Content then desired media type (Parts, Pages, or Media).
- Filter and select the entity you wish to make an attachment for.
- Click Attachments.
- Click Browse and select your file or drag-and-drop your attachment from your computer.
- Set user access using dropdown menu.
Note: Attachments will be found in the Documoto library under the “Related” tab.
Attachments do not exist in the library alone and are
specifically accessible on a part, page, chapter or media.
Access must be set for attachments.
How to Edit Related Attachment Properties
The following is a list of the properties that can be edited for a related attachment item after it has already been related to a part, page or Documoto media:
- Name: Changes the name of the attachment in the ‘View Related Items’ window.
- Public Option: Sets whether the attachment is visible to parent and child organizations of your user's organization(Public), or only to the parent organization(s) (Non-Public).
- Thumbnail Option: Sets the related attachment item as the default thumbnail image for the entity (part, page, chapter or media).
Follow the instructions below to edit the related attachment properties.
- While in the ‘Related’ panel, select the attachment item you want to change the properties of the attachment by clicking on it.
- Select the ‘Edit’ option.
- The editable properties window for the related attachment item will appear.
- Make your changes to the attachment ‘Name’ or ‘Options.’
- Click ‘Create’ to save your changes.
How to Relate Existing Documoto Media
- Follow the steps in the “Opening the 'Related' Items Manager" section of this article.
- Ensure that you select ‘Existing Media’ in the add options to relate an existing media item.
- In the ‘Media Selector’ panel, use the filter and search options to identify the media you want to relate to the entity you are working in.
- Select the media in the grid by clicking on it, then click the ‘Select’ button.
Note: Existing media that has been related to an entity will
only be visible to users who have access to that same media
item on a shelf in the library. They must be able to both see
the shelf containing the media item, and be in an organization
that has access to the media item. If either access control is
blocking the user from seeing the media item, they will not
see the media listed in ‘Related’ on the entity.
How to Remove Related Entities
- Navigate to the ‘Related’ management panel associated to the part, page, chapter or book that you wish to remove related items from.
- In the ‘Related’ list, select the related item you wish to delete by clicking on it.
- Click the ‘Delete’ button.
- Documoto will confirm that you wish to remove the related item.
- Click ‘Yes’ to confirm.