Access controls allow a publisher to define who can see book or media, such as documents, videos or external links, in the Documoto library. In order for a media to be viewable in the Documoto library, it must have both organizations and media shelves/categories assigned in its access control settings.
How to Set Access Controls
- Log in to Documoto using your username and password.
- Click the ‘Admin’ drop-down on the top right of your Documoto window.
- Choose ‘Publisher’ from the list of options.
- Select the ‘Media Manager’ from under the ‘Management’ section in the left navigation pane.
- You can search for the specific media item you want to set access controls for by using the search options at the top of the ‘Media Manager’ panel.
- Open the specific book or media item type that you need to set access controls for by double-clicking on it, or selecting it then clicking on the ‘Open’ button
- In the ‘Media Properties’ window, click the ‘Access Controls’ button to open the ‘Access Controls’ panel
- In this panel you will see organizations and media shelves/categories.
- First, click the check boxes next to the individual organizations that you want to have access to the media item. You can make the book or media item globally accessible to all organizations by clicking the ‘All’ button.
- Note: Selecting a parent organization does not make it accessible to all of its child organizations. Access controls have reverse inheritance for organizations. This means that if a child organization has access to a media item, then the parent organization will too.
- If you need to reset or remove all organization settings, click the ‘None’ button.
- Next you must set the media shelves/categories you want the media item to be available in. Media shelves/categories are shown in the ‘In what media shelves?’ table.
- To assign a book to a media shelf, check the checkbox next to the shelf name in the table. To select multiple shelves, simply click on all of the checkboxes next to the shelf names you want the book or media item to appear in.
- If you need to remove the media item from a shelf, uncheck the checkbox next to the shelf name.
- If the organization or media shelf that you need is not available in the Access Controls table, you can add them using the ‘Administration’ modules. Organizations can be added through the ‘Organization Admin’ Module, and media shelves/categories can be created through the ‘Tenant Administration’ Module.
- When you are done setting access controls, click the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the ‘Access Controls’ panel.
- After the book indexes, it will be available in the library for any users that are in the organization AND have access to media category you applied the book to.
How to Validate Access Controls
If a user is not able to see a book or media they should have in their library that you set access controls for, verify the the following:
- Is the user under one of the organizations I gave access to?
- Is the user in a user group that has access to the media category I applied the book or media item to?
- Did I check off only a parent organization, or miss any of its child organizations that need access?
To set access controls in bulk, please contact your Customer Success Manager or the Documoto Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.