In this article, we review how to create interactive parts book and other static content, such as: PDFs, videos, images and more, in the Media Manager in Documoto's Publisher module.
- How to Open Media Manager
- How to Search For and Filter Media
- How to Create New Books and Static Media
- How to Define and Manage Media Properties
The Documoto Publishing Suite includes two separate publishing tools that allow publishers to create interactive parts books:
- DocuStudio: a desktop publishing application for creating interactive parts pages
- Media Manager: an interactive book and static media creation tool
This articles describes how to use the Media Manager within Documoto's Publisher module to create interactive parts books and other static media.
How to Open Media Manager
- Login to Documoto.
- Click the Admin drop-down and then select Publisher.
- By default, the ‘Media Manager’ will automatically open under the ‘Management’ section of the left navigation pane.
How to Search For and Filter Media
There are several search and filtering options in the Media Manager that help publishers to find the media they are looking for. Each search and filter field is described below:
- Identifier: Searches for the media identifier, which is assigned at the time a media is created, and is not an updatable field
- Name: Searches for the media name based on the current locale your user-preferences are configured in. If your locale is set to Français, and you are looking for an English media name, you will not be able to find that media
- Type: Filters by media type (Book, Document, External Media, Image, Interactive, 3D Media, and Video)
- Updated: Filters by a last ‘Updated’ date range
- Tag: After selecting a ‘Tag’ name from the list box of tags available for media, a ‘Tag Value’ field searches for media based on the tag value applied
How to Create New Books and Static Media
- Click the ‘New’ button at the bottom of the ‘Media Manager’ pane.
- The ‘Create Media’ panel allows you to set the standard properties of the media, such as media identifier, translations and tags.
- IMPORTANT: It’s critical that Publishers create and follow established file naming and media naming conventions for all media items in their organization. It’s important to give the media a UNIQUE identifier so it does not get overwritten, and matches up appropriately to any existing ERP content integrations. The combination of the media identifier and media name make it a unique media item.
- Input a unique media identifier in the ‘Identifier’ field.
- To create an interactive parts book, that will have chapters and/or pages within it, leave the media ‘Type’ as ‘Book’.
- If you would like to create a static media, use the ‘Type’ drop-down to select the appropriate media type:
- Document: for source files such as PDFs, Word documents or Excel spreadsheets that can be uploaded to Documoto.
- Image: used to display images independent of other media in the library.
- Video: used to embed videos into Documoto.
- Interactive: this type of media has been deprecated.
- External Media: URLs that link to an external website, which can be viewed in new browser tab or in-app, within the media viewer.
- For more information on supported files by type of media, refer to: Supported File Extensions by Media Type
- To add the media name, click the ‘Add’ button in the ‘Translations’ grid.
- Fill out the ‘Name’ cell with the media name and tab over to add a description to the ‘Description’ cell.
- If the locale (e.g. language) of the media will not be what appears by default, change the ‘Locale’ in the drop-down.
- Add all appropriate tags to the book using the ‘Tags’ grid and ‘Add’ button.
- Add tag values in the ‘Value’ cells next to the added tag names.
- Click ‘Create’ to create the media.
How to Define and Manage Media Properties
Media properties are the editable rich media attributes and attachments. The ‘Media Properties’ panel is a centralized location to manage and update media information. All of the media properties described below are explained in more detail in other articles in the knowledge base.
- Translations: Contains the media name value for all translated media name locales
- Change: Allows Publishers to apply a media thumbnail to the media by selecting an image file from their computer
- Table of Contents: Where the table of contents for ‘Book’ type media only is populated and managed
- Access Controls: Allow a user to set who can see book or media items in the Documoto library. In order for a media item to show up in the Documoto library, it must have both organizations and categories set up in its access control settings
- Related: Where external media can be attached to the media item, or existing media can be related to the media item
- Comments: Where comments related to the media item can be added, updated, replied to or deleted
- Tags: Allows Publishers to apply meta-information (such as serial numbers, keywords, model information, etc.) to the media item
- Offline Enabled?: Enables offline viewing within Documobile
- Validate: Validates book information such as pageFile information and hotpoint data
- Build Hotpoint Links: Programmatically builds hotpoint links based on page and part data by matching hotpoint and bill-of-material part number information to pages within the book
- Override Print Settings: Allows Publishers to override inherited print settings, as well as upload custom cover and stitch pages for the book
- To Template: Allows you to use the book as a Template for books in the future